Saturday, January 24, 2009

10 TIMES



I had a scary little trip to the emergency room yesterday. I went to work and started having terrible chest pains. My co-workers suggested that it was indigestion from my lunch but I had never felt that kind of pain in my life. My boss hooked me up to the blood pressure machine and I had a high reading. And I also took some tums hoping it was just indigestion but when word got around the club that I was having chest pains several members insisted that I head to the E.R. They rushed me right in and gave hooked me up to an EKG. I then met the doctor and he recognized me from the club and promised he was going to take extra good care of me. They were going to start an IV and get me some pain killers to ease the pain. When the first nurse came in to start the IV I told him good luck and warned him that I have terrible veins and that they are super deep. After the second guy attempted to get a vein he hit a tendon and talk about pain. I was in tears and the EX-Ray guy felt bad for me that I was crying. They later gave up on starting an IV and just focused on getting blood. Three more people later and they finally got blood. I counted 10 pokes and two blown veins. My tests came back with normal readings and the doctor diagnosed me with Costcochrondritis. It is inflamation in the rib cartilage and causes major chest pain. I was so glad it wasn't indigestion but glad it wasn't something worse. They were concerned it was a blood clot in my lungs but thank goodness it wasn't.
My parents were worried about me and I think they realized how far away I am from them. I'm grateful I have good friends and I know I always have my awesome church leaders close. I have the next couple of days off to recover. I feel like someone beat me up and my arms are a mess. I'm affraid that I am on the wall of shame at the hospital. I was definately a challange to the staff that day.

3 comments:

Juline said...

that so sucks! I am so sorry! I had the same thing happen to me after my c-section with Adi. My vein burst and they couldn't get a knew one. The anestigiologist even pokes about four times before he went into my wrist which it not a good place to have an i.v. I still have a scare. I know your pain... and can imagine what your arms look like...that sucks but feel better!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

first off, i can't believe that the medical world could name any sort of malady after something as fabulous as costco! for shame!

second, blown veins and all that goes along with that SUCK. i have little veins and they have to use infant needles, but almost every time the nurse doesn't believe me and thinks she should try an adult needle first. if only they would listen.

glad you're better or whatever-that it's not something serious. and everyone can use a few days on the couch, right?

Christina said...

yikes. We aren't old enough to get "chest pains" yet are we? I still feel like I'm young, aren't we????? I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious.